Sunday, May 31, 2009

squirly


My friend Josh and I went rock climbing a couple days ago in Little Cottonwood Canyon and it was awesome! We hiked up the the spot where our climb begins, and there were some guys there just finishing up their lil climbing sesh. We chatted with them briefly and Josh asked them if they had seen the squirrel. They didn't know what he was talking about and neither did I so he went on and said that there is supposed to be a famous fat squirrel in this spot that eats your food from your packs once you start climbing. They thought it was a funny story but they weren't victims of this squirrel. 

Josh started his lead and  got to the first pitch pretty quickly, then I started climbing. I was clipping in at the top when Josh looked down the cliff and said "Oh no way!!" And there he was. This HUGE fat squirrel unzipping our packs (he doesn't chew it open- he's a very respectful squirrel) and taking our M&M's, Cliff Bar, Cliff Bar, Cliff Bar... yes. There were three!! We tried to find some loose rocks to chuck at it and we found one but by then he already vanished into the bushes. That little punk. 

So we didn't get to eat the lunch we brought and I didn't have time to eat after because I was running late for work, so I had to tell my boss that a squirrel ate my lunch. He gave me a funny look but he let me eat a salad in the back.

Btw, the picture of the squirrel is a squirrel I snapped a shot of in D.C. at the Jefferson Memorial. This canyon squirrel looked more like this.


And probably a little fatter since he ate 3 cliff bars AND a pack of eminems. Next time I'm bringing my airsoft gun and clipping it to me while I climb.

Also, last week I went camping as a chaperone for a high school group. We accidently left a backpack full of sunflower seeds and triscuits. Though everything was fully zipped, of course some thief squirrels or raccoons left a mess in our tent. Again, nothing was chewed up, and they zipped up my backpack and the tent when they left. They should have cleaned up the mess....

Also, my brother's family is coming soon!! I love them and I can't wait. Here they are at Christmas time when I went to go visit them in Baltimore.


 OK Peace.

4 comments:

Emily said...

That's a very sneaky squirrel. That's funny you actually saw him.

Jacque said...

So does the squirrel actually know that if he just waits, the people will be on the cliff and he can have all the lunch he wants? That's funny!

Sara B said...

"eminems" huh? those must be some bad ass candies.

Anonymous said...

haha! that is so funny! You are an awesome photographer. Good job Annie.